New Living Room Drapes

After living in our new home for 8 moths, we finally have added drapes to the living room and breakfast room!   It was one of those things that has taken a while to get to!  (A few stealthy readers cracked me up by spotting the drapes in the photos of James’ party!) The new addition has really changed the way the rooms look and feel and I couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome. 

image

The wall housing our living room windows was way too long for even an extended drapery rod, so I purchased two short rods (24-48 inches) for the far ends.  I refrained from adding drapes in the middle because there is only about four inches of wall space between the windows and I didn’t want to block the natural light.

image

Adding the drapery rods about two inches below the crown molding meant loooong drapes- 111 inches to skim the floor.  The living room drapes were done first and are 113 inches, which puddle a bit, so they need to be hemmed.

image

Also, my seamstress (also known as my babysitter’s mother!) sewed the lining separate from the actual drapes, so plan to use some stitch witchery to hold them together where they are gaping.  She made rod pockets for the top at 4 1/2 inches.  The drapery rods are from West Elm.  I love the sleek look.

image

I purchased the drapery fabric (Windsor Smith Pelagos Fabric in Mist) at High Fashion Home for about $15 per yard.  I purchased their entire inventory (15 yards) and was then told that the fabric was being discontinued.  I don’t know if that’s true, but since I didn’t want to pay the big dollars I saw it selling for elsewhere, we cut the width in half for the drapes for the two breakfast room windows (otherwise, we wouldn’t have had enough fabric).   I’d never seen this fabric before purchasing it, but now I see it’s quite popular!

image

I even made a small lumbar pillow, but am searching now for coordinating fabrics to make some new sofa pillows.

image

Living Room-  BEFORE

image

Living Room- AFTER (p.s. I think I’m going to relocate those round mirrors)

image

Breakfast Room- BEFORE

image

Breakfast Room- AFTER (really draws the eye up:)

image

I am so thankful to my seamstress for sewing these for me!!!  I think she did an awesome job.  And it only took her a few days!  If you are in Houston and would like to send her some business, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment