Updating the Bar Area

We have this great area in our home between the dining room and kitchen that is perfect for entertaining- equipped with a sink and wine fridge.  It’s where Jimmy makes his famous margaritas!!  It’s also where our china, wine and champagne glasses are stored, along with serving platters/trays, table cloths, placemats, napkins, napkin rings, various vases, vase fillers, and candles.  When we designed our home, I knew we needed extra storage in a central location for those types of things that were previously stored in various places around our townhouse.  I’m so thankful for this space! Makes an organization nut like me very happy!

image

   DSC_0177

DSC_0161

(we’re still working on our wine collection- pitiful empty wine rack!)

So, although the space is very functional, I wanted to liven it up a little, and figured a mirrored backsplash would be perfect.  I tried looking around for a mirror or two that I could purchase but the space is just too long and skinny.  I called a couple local hardware stores, but they didn’t cut mirrors.

Then I remembered the awesome company that I ordered all the custom mirrors for the house from before we moved in, Cut Rite Glass, a husband and wife owned and operated company in Houston.  I called Cheryl and explained what I wanted and she sent they guys out to measure the space to get a perfect measurement.  About a week later, they came back and installed the mirror:) 

image

image

image

DSC_0078 

To make a long, boring story short, we moved the far left outlet up under the cabinet (cost $45 for the electrician to come out and do that) and had a hole cut for the far right outlet and a mirrored plate added.  (I had the hole cut in the mirror before I knew that outlets could be moved fairly easily and cheaply- otherwise I would have moved both!)

DSC_0086

 DSC_0087

The cost of the mirror and installation (with the outlet cut and mirrored plate) was $216.  It would’ve been about $170 if they didn’t have to make the cut for the outlet and provide the plate.  Also, a beveled mirror would’ve been about twice as expensive.

DSC_0085

I love how the mirror reflects the curved staircase from this angle!

DSC_0079

Then we played dress-up . . .

DSC_0151

DSC_0157

When the guys were over measuring the area, they admired my mirrored tray ($40 at Target) and couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was- they said for them to custom make it would cost about $400 (because of all the small, beveled pieces)!

DSC_0165 

DSC_0168

And what I’ve learned over the last two weeks is that outlets and thermostats can be moved people!  We’re still waiting for the replacement wireless thermostat, but I can’t wait to get it off of my art wall:)

DSC_0169

*********

I’m sharing this post with Sarah

image

0 comments:

Post a Comment