Stairway Gallery Walls

To me, gallery walls are tough to get right.  Poorly done, they can end up looking cluttered, confused or too themey.  But when they’re done well—ahhh!!!  The beauty and pleasure of having a little slice of life’s memories displayed for you to admire on a daily basis is so wonderful and rewarding.

As you know, our home has a curved staircase and wall, which really had me wondering if a gallery wall was even possible,

image 

until I saw this at Emily of A Well Dressed Home’s blog; a curved staircase gallery wall!

image

Then, I looked further and saw Emily’s gorgeous gallery wall and fell in love.  Hers isn’t a curved wall, but nonetheless, it is perfection!

image

image 

I love everything about it (and trust me, I’ve really studied it!): the color pallet she used; how she mixed the mirror, sign and letter in with the frames; her use of twine to hang some of the frames, frames of different sizes, some matted and some not; and how she spaced everything.  It just works so well together, don’t you think?

Here’s a closer look. 

image

image

I’m so happy I stumbled upon Emily’s blog because she also has done some amazing transformations around her home.  Check out her kitchen remodel here, and see what she’s done to her living room here.

I’d love to do something like Emily did in her stairway, but the wall in our staircase is really high and poses the practical problem of how to actually hang the photos and objects.  When the blinds were being installed on the window, they had to use a special ladder and two people.  I’m not sure I want to (or am even able to) go through that.  Maybe I could hire someone to hang everything once I figured out the layout??  But can you imagine, “no, a little to the right, okay, now down an inch.”  Ug.  I wonder how they did it in that first photo. 

We do have another wall that might be perfect for a gallery wall, we’d just have to find another home for our zebra (from Z Gallerie).

image 

If we don’t do a gallery wall on our curved staircase, do you think we try to put a large piece of art on either side of the window? Leave it bare?  Here’s the picture again.

image 

And . . .  I wanted to let you know that Cassie at Hi Sugarplum! is celebrating 100 posts this week by having a $50 giveaway to a retailer of your choice!  Go here to enter!  Congrats Cassie- that is a big accomplishment, especially with a job, two kids and hubby to care for:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment