Chevron Rug DIY

Little by little, I’ve been trying to add some life to our upstairs hallway.  A zebra print, large mirror and some framed photos have been hung, but the area still needed a runner.  After searching for what felt like ages, I recently thought I found the perfect one! 

Tray- living room 014

Tray- living room 004

A navy blue, 2.5 x 9 foot zig zag rug by Calypso Home!  This rug was pretty pricey, but since I hadn’t found anything else I loved as much, I made the splurge.

image

Last week, I got an email from UPS informing me that my rug had been delivered to my home address.  Except the rug hadn’t actually arrived and the address they had for me wasn’t me, but a local Home Depot!  After getting nowhere with UPS, I ended up loading up the baby in the car and heading to Home Depot to track down my rug.  The manager there was really nice and was able to retrieve my rug for me. 

I was so excited to get it home and unwrapped.  But unfortunately, I don’t care for how it looks in the hallway.  First, it’s way more blue than the dark navy I pictured and I didn’t realize it was such a thin flat weave.   Also, I’m thinking now maybe I need two runners instead of just one for this long hallway??  And perhaps a different pattern with more colors??

image

image

Needless to say, I returned my rug.  But, a few days later, I found this awesome hand painted chevron rug by Carissa at The Fabulous Design File.

image

image

She used a flat weave sisal-type rug (8 x 10) and two coats of Benjamin Moore latex floor paint in black after measuring and taping off the peaks.  I think the result is amazing!  Look at how crisp she got those lines.  Go here to see how she did it.

image

Stunning, don’t you think?

Still not sure what I’m going to do in the hallway, but I love Carissa’s rug!

And I must be on a Chevron kick these days because I also ordered these black and gold “zig zag” plates and mugs from Mikasa.  They have other darling patterns and colors too.  An early Christmas gift from the hubby (after a little hint, hint)!  I think they will be so pretty on our Christmas table- and every other day of the year!

image

image 

Can’t wait for them to arrive- I hope they don’t end up at Home Depot! 

*********

The Trendy Peas Giveaway ends on Thursday December 9, 2010 at midnight central time.  Winner will be announced on Friday December 10, 2010. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment